Lake Mutanda is a freshwater lake situated in the southwestern part of Uganda.
Lake Mutanda is easily accessible by tourists on Kigali to Bwindi gorilla trekking tours.
The Rutshuru River drains Lake Mutanda, flowing northward to Lake Edward.
The lake is dotted with 15 islands, surrounded by farmlands and lush vegetation, giving it priceless views.
Activities at Lake Mutanda
- Canoeing. Canoeing at Lake Mutanda is one of the common tourist activities. The traditional dugout canoes are a great way to explore the lake’s flora and fauna, providing spectacular views of beautiful islands and an opportunity to spot some aquatic birds.
- Sport Fishing. For those who love water sports, tourists can enjoy sports fishing at the great Lake Mutanda. Tourists participating in this activity can go with local fishermen who are well-experienced and know the lake better. Some of the fish in the lake include mad fish, catfish, tilapia, and many others.
- Bicycle Tours. Lake Mutanda is situated in the Virunga range area, which is mountainous and a perfect place for mountain biking. Tourists can rent bikes from Kisoro town or bring their own. Biking is one of the best ways to explore the African countryside.
- Nature Walks & Hikes. There are various hiking trails tourists can take around the lake and on the islands. Tourists can hike from Buhoma to Nkuringo and continue to Lake Mutanda the next day. While on a nature walk, tourists can spot several species of birds like the Great Cormorant, Malachite Kingfishers, Pied Kingfishers, Pin-tailed Whydah, and so much more.
- Mountain Climbing. Lake Mutanda is nestled within three of the Virunga volcanoes: Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Gahinga, and Mount Muhabura. These mountains provide priceless views of most of the Virunga ranges. For instance, Mount Sabyinyo can only be hiked from the Ugandan side, and its peak is shared by three countries: Uganda, Rwanda, and Congo.
Activities near Lake Mutanda
- Gorilla Trekking. Gorilla trekking is one of the main activities attracting tourists to Africa and can only be done in the Virunga area of Congo, Uganda, and Rwanda. The endangered mountain gorillas can be trekked near Lake Mutanda at Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Bwindi National Park, or Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda. Tourists can obtain permits for only $600 in Uganda and $1500 in Rwanda.
- Golden Monkey Trekking. Golden monkey trekking can be done at Mgahinga National Park, which is home to about 4000 golden monkeys. They are beautiful to behold, very playful, love flash cameras, and are very interesting. Golden monkeys move in troops of up to a hundred individuals. The price for trekking the monkeys is cheaper, and they can easily be found, unlike gorillas.
Accommodation & Getting There
There are various accommodations around Lake Mutanda, including Volcanoes Hotel, Sky Blue Hotel, Mgahinga Safari Lodge, Gahinga Rest Camp, Travelers Rest Camp, Travelers Rest Inn, and Mutanda Lake Resort, among others.
Lake Mutanda can be reached by a 454-kilometer road trip from Kampala, taking about 10-11 hours.
Tourists can also use a plane from Entebbe International Airport to Kisoro Airstrip.
Lake Mutanda can be visited all year round.
Book your dream safari below.
Featured in: Uganda Attractions, Uganda Information
Do you need to visit multiple destinations or need to customize a trip to match your interests? We are very open to this and are willing to help. Kindly click to inquire below to navigate to the detailed booking page.