Mountain gorillas are the largest species of primates in the world inhabiting the Virunga mountain slopes of Volcanoes national park in Rwanda, Mgahinga national park in Uganda, Virunga national park in Congo and Bwindi impenetrable forest national park in Uganda.
Mountain gorillas live in gorillas entirely feed on vegetation commonly found in their habitats, they have adapted to the cold temperatures with long and thick fur. Gorillas move in groups dominated by a silver male that takes care of all the group’s activities.
Mountain gorillas are critically endangered with their main predators being humans and leopards occasionally. They have low birth rates and any death can affect the gorilla population, there are less than 1000 mountain gorillas left in the world.
What to do when a gorilla charges on you
Mountain gorillas are not primarily aggressive and wild except when they are disturbed or feel insecure; they are polite and shy animals but can do anything when disturbed.
Mountain gorillas usually don’t attack humans ad before they attack they will always send warning signs by making loud groans, grunting, tearing and throwing vegetation, chest pounding, standing up right, making mock aggressive charges and baring teeth.
If a gorilla shows the above threatening signs and someone persists, the mountain gorilla will eventually charge at you. They charge with their strong muscular hands, powerful jaws, vicious biting and thunderous thumps.
When a gorilla charges at you, never run because you can never run faster than a mountain gorilla in its natural habitat.
When a gorilla charges you’re advised not to scream or shout because this will worsen the situation, you must stay calm and be quite as possible.
When a mountain gorilla attacks and holds your hands, move your hand and start grooming them this will make them to relax.
Never look at a gorilla direct in the eyes when it attacks, you can look elsewhere and look unbothered looking direct in the eyes will make them think you’re up for a challenge.
When a mountain gorilla is charging you can try to be submissive by crouching, pretend to be an ape by eating vegetation this will make the gorilla to calm down.
In conclusion the best way to avoid a gorilla charging on you is to follow the gorilla trekking rules and regulations that are always given in the briefing before going for gorilla trekking. In case you’re in the process of observation and a guide sees signs of an attack the visit will end early.
What to carry for gorilla trekking
Mountain gorillas live on tropical rainforests on higher elevations, trekking mountain gorillas will need tourists to acquire some gears like; water proof hiking boots, garden gloves, rain coats, warm clothing, plenty of drinking water, insect repellents, energy giving snacks, sun screens and many other things you might need. Potters are always available to help carry tourists luggage at a good price.
Gorilla trekking permits
Mountain gorillas are limited to a few countries and many tourists come to trek this great apes annually meaning you have to acquire your gorilla trekking permit in advance before arriving in the country you will trek from.
Gorilla FAQs & Information
- Why Can’t You Look or Make Eye Contact with a Gorilla?
- Why Silverback Gorillas Fight
- Importance of Mountain Gorillas
- What is The Largest Species of Gorillas?
- What is a Group of Gorillas Called?
- What is the Mountain Gorillas Role in The Ecosystem?
- The Mountain Gorilla Defense Mechanism
- How to Provoke/Annoy a Gorilla
- How Gorillas Greet Each Other
- Do All Gorillas Become Silverbacks?
- Do Gorillas like Humans
- Do gorillas Eat of Kill Their Babies?
- Do Gorillas Eat Humans?
- Can you Tame a Gorilla
- Can you Own a Gorilla?
- Do Mountain Gorillas live in Families & Groups?
- How to Protect & Save Mountain Gorillas
- Why Gorillas Are So Strong
- How Many Humans Does it Take to Beat a Gorilla?
- How do you call a Baby Gorilla?
- How Do Gorillas Sleep?
- How Mountain Gorillas Communicate
- The Gorilla Life Cycle
- Do Gorillas drink water?
- Are Gorillas friendly & gentle to humans?
- Why do Apes, Gorillas beat their chest & sound hollow?
- Gorilla Threats: Why Mountain Gorillas were endangered?
- Why were Mountain Gorillas going extinct?
- What is a Silverback Gorilla?
- Gorilla Species: Different Kinds/Types of Gorilla & Breeds
- Mountain Gorilla Diet
- Mountain Gorilla Size, Average Height & Weight Measurements
- Natural Mountain Gorilla Predators
- Mountain Gorilla Population
- Lifespan of Mountain Gorillas
- Mountain Gorilla Natural Habitat
- Mountain Gorilla Conservation Efforts
- Mountain Gorilla Behavior
- How to Survive a Gorilla Attack on Humans
- Are Gorillas Dangerous to the People
- Why are Gorillas Poached in Africa
- How Gorillas Adapt to Rain-forest Environment
- Interesting Facts about Mountain Gorillas in Africa
- Traits, Qualities & Characteristics of Mountain Gorillas
- How Strong is a Silverback Gorilla?
- Best Place to See Mountain Gorillas in Africa
- Uganda Gorilla Families
- Rwanda Gorilla Families
- Congo Gorilla Families
Book your dream safari below.
Do you need to visit multiple destinations or need to customize a trip to match your interests? We are very open to this and are willing to help. Kindly click to inquire below to navigate to the detailed booking page.